10 Easy Ways to Save Money
There is a lot of advice going around for how to save money, but here are some tips that are useful… and totally easy to follow!
- Make a list every time you go grocery shopping, and buy only what’s on it.
- If you normally go out for pizza once a week, give it up once a month. You could save more than $200 over the course of a year.
- Instead of buying new or paying to rent them, borrow books, CDs, videos and DVDs from the library for free.
- Use a clothesline or drying rack to dry your clothes.
- Bring your coffee from home and save over $300 a year.
- Cancel caller ID. You can always screen your messages by the answering machine.
- Stop buying wrapping paper. Instead, use shopping bags, twine and dried or fresh flowers to wrap gifts.
- Install a programmable thermostat to save $150 a year in heating costs.
- Put away all extra windfalls of cash like raises, tax refunds and bonuses.
- Empty the change from your pockets and wallet each night into a jar. At the end of the month, put all of that money into a savings account. You’ll be amazed how fast it accumulates! Don’t use cash? Round up dollar figures from transactions on your debit card and for all checks written. Once every three months, clear out the amount you’ve accumulated and add it to your savings.