Protect Yourself from Identity Thieves
Here are some ways to protect yourself:
- Keep your Social Security card and passport in a safe place. Do not carry them with you unless absolutely necessary.
- Limit the amount of identifying information, including credit cards, you carry.
- Shred all financial information, such as unsolicited convenience checks, applications and bank statements.
- Do not give out information by phone, unless you initiated the call or know the person.
- Pay attention to billing cycles and follow up if bills don't arrive on time.
- Report lost or stolen checks to your bank immediately. Your bank will block payment on the check numbers involved.
- Closely guard your ATM Personal Identification Number (PIN) and ATM receipts.
To learn more about protecting yourself from identity theft, contact National Iron Bank at 860-435-2581 or stop by one of our offices.